Saturday, 10 September 2016

Weekly Update - What I love about Autumn

This week, it felt good to get back into routine again. I was ill over the Labour Day long weekend, which was not fun, but it did force me to lie down and rest. I napped, read books and watched a James Bond marathon. I have to say my favourite are the Roger Moore years. I love ridiculous Bond movies complete with elaborate lairs for villains and epic ski and boat chases. 

 On Tuesday it was back to routine. The summer is over and the kids started back to school Wednesday. It's my favourite time of year again - autumn (and the Christmas season too). Below is a list of some of my favourite things about fall. 

1. Back to school supplies
I'm not just talking about for the kids here. There's something about this time of year that makes me want to get new pens, journals and stationary supplies. Maybe it's years of schooling, but there's still a kid in me that loves a fresh new notebook and the sense of possibility it brings. 

 
2. Pumpkin everything!
Yes it's cliche but I really do love pumpkin. I got my first pumpkin spice latte yesterday and it was a lovely treat. I look forward to pumpkin muffins, cookies, pies and other treats that this time of year brings. And not just the food, I love all the pumpkin scented candles, soaps and lotions too. 

3. Fall leaves
There is only a little bit of colour right now, but that will change in the next few weeks. I love all the reds, oranges and yellows. It's nice  too the sound of the leaves under foot and the scent of them in the air. It doesn't last long, but it's beautiful for those few weeks of transition before we get into winter. 

4. Fall clothing 
I love putting on jackets and boots again. This year I got a new pleather jacket and new boots. Finding black knee high boots was a bit of a challenge as short booties are all the rage right now. I did manage to get a decent pair. I'm fussy about my boots. They have to be just right, I like a chunky heel, that's not too high, and the boot should not slouch or be too pointy in the toe. I wear them a lot so they have to be something I love.
Besides boots and jackets I love scarves and sweaters. It's so nice to be able to layer again. 

5. Halloween themed items
This is a great time of year for the spooky inclined to pick up some darker themed clothes, and household items. Michaels has some great household things like candle holders, cups and pillows. You can even find things at regular mainstream stores with bats, ghosts, black cats etc on them. And don't forget stores like Spirit Halloween to really get into the spirit of things. 

6. Thanksgiving
In Canada Thanksgiving is the second Monday of October (in the US it's the last Thursday of November). It's a great way to celebrate fall with a large turkey dinner, pumpkin pie and getting together with family and friends. It's a time to be thankful for the bounty of the earth and all the wonderful things in our lives. 

7. Halloween
The next celebration of fall is my second favourite holiday (Christmas is my fave). I love the decorations, costumes and candy. It's fun seeing kids and adults get into the spirit of things. I love carving a pumpkin with the kids (well it's really me that does most of it), roasting pumpkin seeds and giving out treats to the trick or treaters. It's also a sacred day for me as a Wiccan. It's a time to remember our loved ones on the other side and is considered a spiritual new year for many witches. 

 
8. Halloween candy
Okay, I had to make this its own category. One of the perks of handing out candy to the kids trick or treating is eating the left overs. You can get large boxes of mini chocolate bars which can be dangerous. It's so deceptive as they are so small it's easy to eat so many. I do love all the seasonal candy that comes out including the marshmallow ghosts pictured above. 

9. Great television and movies 
With Halloween coming, spooky shows increase on the tele. I'm a hugs fan of paranormal type shows so this is a great time of year for me. I'm not a big horror fan, but if you are, this is a great time of year for you too. There are favourite movies for me at this time of year, like The Craft, Practical Magic, Sleepy Hollow, and a Nightnare Before Christmas. 

10. The days are getting darker
As we move into the darker half of the year, I love lighting candles and being cozy. While there are those who feel more down during this time, I am the opposite. I love having more of an evening again. There something cozy and comforting at this time. I love getting out the candles, making comfort food like chili and shepherds pie and curling up in blankets. I also feel more creative and focused during this time of year. 

What are your favourite things about autumn? 

Below is the video roundup for the week. 





1 comment:

  1. I love Autumn, the cooler weather is great, and the coloured leaves are magical!

    ReplyDelete