Sunday, 16 October 2016

My Trip to Victoria, British Columbia

Thanks for your patience dear readers, as I've been away from blogging for a few weeks. Part of that was because I went to visit my bestie Rheina, on Vancouver Island at the end of September. She moved away just over a year ago and I've been missing her sorely. Facebook and talking on the phone are great but it doesn't compare to a face to face visit.

 I thought I'd share with you some of the places I visited while I was there. My friend is fairly private, so no pictures with her in them, but needless to say I had a lovely time hanging out with her and her family and appreciate them showing around the lovely part of the world they now call home.

View along the highway to Sooke BC


 One of the places we visited was a Victorian mansion called Craigdarroch Castle. It was built in 1890 by a Scottish coal baron for his family, and is now a museum. If you are in Victoria , and like Victorian history, I would highly recommend it. It has four floors and 30 some rooms, almost all of which have been beautifully restored. It really gives you a feel for life of the upper class at the turn of the last century. As a side note, it is supposed to be haunted too.

Craigdarroch Castle

Stained Glass in the Drawing Room

Drawing Room
 After walking around the amazing mansion, we decided to go to a local cafe that is very popular. It serves some excellent eggs Benedict (or so I have heard as I don't like eggs), and I had a delicious veggie burger. The Blue Fox cafe is a quirky, fun cafe in downtown Victoria that I would recommend if you want something local, delicious, and you like an artsy atmosphere.


 Another great place we visited that is kind of a must, when in Victoria, is the Butchart Gardens. It is pretty pricey, but definitely worth doing at least once. I met my lovely friend Ray, from art school, at the gardens. It was great to see him again and stroll around. If you like formal gardens, or are into Victorian things, you will enjoy the gardens. It started as the private garden for the Butchart family at the turn of the century, expanded from there and is still a family owned and run business. There are several different themed gardens including a Japanese garden, a rose garden, an Italian garden etc. The most beautiful garden for me was the sunken garden made from a quarry. It reminded me of Quarry Park in Shrewsbury UK.

The Sunken Garden


Ray in the Rose Garden

 One day we went to the beach, so I could see the Pacific Ocean. I've seen the Atlantic and Caribbean ocean, but never the Pacific. We went to beautiful place called French Beach. Even though the water was cold I still manged to put a foot in the water and ended up getting my shoes wet by accident, but it didn't matter, it is all part of the fun.

French Beach


 It was a lovely trip, as it was so nice to hang out with my bestie and get away to see another part of the world. I know this will be an annual trip, and am looking forward already to returning next year.





No comments:

Post a Comment