Saturday, 14 January 2017

A Snowy and Stormy Week

This week there was a big snowstorm with 70km winds and a temperature of  -40 C with the windchill. I have to say it made me feel a little proud that even in this weather we don't shutdown we just keep on going. 

 

While it is cold, I do believe in the Nordic saying, "there is no bad weather, only bad clothes". Personally I believe in lots of layers. I wear tights under my jeans, and a t shirt and hoody, or sweater, plus of course a big fuzzy (fake fur) coat, scarf, two layers of mitts and a hat and super warm boots. If my feet get cold, then I'm done. And I limit my time outside in this weather. I like winter, but when it's this cold, I'll limit my outdoor time. These photos were taken from the skywalk that links the buildings in downtown Winnipeg. Most days I walk outside, but on this day I thought it best to walk indoors as much as possible. 

 

I love the Danish idea of "hygge" of enjoying winter by being cozy. Instead of complaining about how dreadful it may be outside, I prefer to light candles, wear comfy and fuzzy clothes, drink hot beverages and cozy up with a good book or TV show. And when I go outside I dress for it and enjoy the winter beauty. I'm aware a lot of people find this time of year with the darkness depressing, but I personally love it. 

 

It also makes me very greatful for the modern conveniences we have like central heating and quick heated transportation. It is so much easier to survive the winter in comfort, than it was 100 years ago. 

What are your favourite things about winter? How do you deal with it, if you find the winter challenging?

Below are my videos from this week. I'm participating in the 31 Days of Tarot challenge, and also showed my modifications to my Day Planner. I also have to say I've been turned on to bullet journaling and I may have unleashed a new obsession. But I'll update you all next week on that. 






1 comment:

  1. I definitely enjoy dressing for winter more than summer heat. This week it was 40 degrees Celsius here!

    ReplyDelete